- L.L.B (Hons), University of Malaya, 1986
- Admitted as advocate and solicitor of the High Court of Malaya 1987
- Qualified Syariah Law Practitioner
Areas of Practice
- Islamic Banking and Finance
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Syariah Law
Tengku Hasmuddin has extensive experience in the areas of corporate commercial law and Islamic banking and finance. His expertise has seen him advising a diverse group of clients in various kinds of transactions and commercial deals. His key interest however, and one which is closest to his heart is in the area of Islamic banking and finance. Tengku Hasmuddin’s involvement in this area began from the inception of the first Islamic bank in Malaysia, where he was one of pioneer legal counsels responsible for developing the structural framework for documentation relating to Islamic banking products. To date, he continues to play an active role in the development of this area of law, and his consultancy is much sought after by clients and industry players. Tengku Hasmuddin is frequently invited to present papers and talks in his area of interest both locally and internationally. In 2004, he was invited to deliver the keynote address on “The Secondary Islamic Financial Market” jointly organized by the Accounting and Auditing Organisation for Islamic Financial Institutions (“AAOIFI”) and the World Bank. Currently Tengku Hasmuddin sits on the committee of the Task Force on Islamic Finance for Labuan International Offshore Centre (“IOFC”) Malaysia and is a member of the Law Review Main Committee for Islamic Banking and Finance Transactions under the auspices of the Central Bank of Malaysia. He also acts as an advisor to the Association of Banking Institutions of Malaysia (“AIBIM”).
- Advised and attended to the preparation of various Islamic finance instruments including legal documents for the first Shariah compliant credit card in Malaysia, floor stocking and block discounting.
- Bank Negara Malaysia to undertake studies and recommendations on legal issues that affect the operation of Islamic banking and finance.
- Chairman of the Law Review Sub-committee on Tax and Stamp Duty which was instrumental in proposing for the tax neutrality treatment announced by the Minister of Finance in 2005.